Transborder freight between the U.S. and other North American countries (Canada and Mexico) in August 2021:
- Total transborder freight: $113.1 billion of transborder freight moved by all modes of transportation, up 21% compared to August 2020. August 2021 transborder freight was up 7.6% from the $105.1 billion in freight moved in August 2019.
- Nations: Freight between the U.S. and Canada totaled $56.8B, up by 21.9% from August 2020. Freight between the U.S. and Mexico totaled $56.3B, up 20.1% from August 2020.
- Most-used mode: Trucks moved $70.5 billion of freight, up 15.9% compared to August 2020 and up 6.8% compared to $66.1 billion in August 2019.
- Second most-used mode: Railways moved $15.4 billion of freight, up 11.6% compared to August 2020 and down nearly 4% compared to $16.1 billion in August 2019.
- Also noteworthy: Pipeline activity with Canada amounted to $7.9B, up 88% from August 2020’s $4.2B